Thursday 17 May 2012

Policing in Armagh


Earlier this week I had the privilege of spending some time with officers and staff in South Armagh and in Armagh City. It is always very encouraging to see first hand how personal, professional and protective policing is being delivered locally.

I was greatly encouraged by the examples of how police are pushing the boundaries locally, engaging with the community and how the community is embracing local policing.

The only way that policing can be truly effective, is with the support and involvement of local communities. I very much applaud those who have taken risks to support local policing initiatives.

I was also able to visit Lisanally Special School in Armagh City with members of the local Neighbourhood Policing Team. I really enjoyed the opportunity to meet with Mrs Sandra Flynn, the Principal, staff members and pupils, learning about their facilities and curriculum, but I especially enjoyed a visit to a Home Economics class and some freshly cooked potato wedges!

The teachers and staff are truly inspirational people with a very clear desire and passion to see the children and young people achieve their very best potential in life. When you have the opportunity to meet with special people like this, it brings a lot of things into perspective.

The visit was a great opportunity for me, but unfortunately because of the responsibilities of my role, it doesn't happen often enough. But it is important that I take the time to see first hand how the policing vision is translating into reality in our local communities.

I am rarely disappointed by the lengths to which officers and staff are going, and the determination they have to ensure that every single community can have a policing service which they desire and deserve.





No comments:

Post a Comment